Saturday, 17 May 2014

Life without shampoo....much better than you'd think!

For the last year or so neither my husband or I have used traditional shampoo and conditioner. I have extremely long, very thick and wavy and very coarse hair. Trying to get a wide toothed comb through my wet hair, to spread the conditioner easily, was a headache inducing, nigh on impossible task! I kept seeing mentions of Apple Cider Vinegar and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) as replacements. I'll be honest, I didn't expect much. Expensive shampoos, conditioners and treatments didn't make the slightest bit of difference, so how could bicarb and vinegar??






 
















Well........

This stuff is GENIUS....just mix a lttle of the bicarb in a spray bottle with water and use as a shampoo. Spray directly onto your roots and massage away! It leaves it squeaky clean, and tangle free. Once that's rinsed out, do the same with the ACV, but on the lengths and ends. Keep it away from the roots or you'll run the risk of greasy hair. Then I comb through....with zero knots or tangles, glides through like a knife through butter.

The thing that surprised me most, is that there is no smell of vinegar left on your hair. The only way I can describe the fragrance is clean. It just smells fresh and completely clean. Obviously this doesn't work if you like your hair to smell fruity (ooer!) like shampoo! Eventually though, you need to wash your hair less and less often. Unless you get grubby regularly, say if you're stuck in Victorian times and are a chimney sweep (yes I have forgotten all modern grubby jobs!), you won't need to clean your hair. Just rinsing with warm water when you shower should be enough to keep clean.

Basically, the theory behind this is that shampoo actually strips the natural oils from your hair, which then means your scalp produces more oil the more you use them. Which is bad. Using the bicarb and ACV doesn't do this, it cleans off the excess oil and you don't need to use as much. Shampoo is basically a detergent, so its very harsh on your hair. Primarily I was looking for something to make washing my hair less of a hassle and less painful.. Its also ended up a lot cheaper and quicker! It does strip colour from hair unfortunately, but I suppose it shows how well it cleans!

I have a great recipe for home made dry shampoo, which, as my camp husband says smells 'gorgeous and A-MAZING!!' !! I'll post that for you in another blog if anyone is interested!

Thanks for popping by!

Jan
x

ps. the term for forgoing shampoo is called 'no 'poo' in case you wondered *snigger*!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment